Aeroplane and Helicopter flights + guided walk
Full Day Tour
Departing Kununurra, this tour begins with a scenic aeroplane flight over the Ord River Irrigation Area, Carlton Hill Station, Wyndham and the Cambridge Gulf, before reaching the coast. Along the way, you will witness stunning views of beautifully patterned mud flats near Wyndham, as well as the magnificent King River, Berkeley River Gorge, King George Falls, and Kalumburu.
This flight touches down at the remote Mitchell Plateau Airstrip, where you will disembark and then board a pristine HeliSpirit helicopter. This helicopter will transfer you from the airstrip to the beginning of the walk to Mitchell Falls. From the Campground, you will follow your tour guide on a beautiful 4.5km hike into the stunning Mitchell Falls. This hike can be challenging at points, with uneven tracks and river crossings, view some amazing indigenous rock art at Little Merten and enjoy the many different eco-systems along the way. There is an option to take a helicopter transfer from the campground to the falls for those not capable of doing the hike at no additional cost – this must be decided at the time of booking..
Once arriving at the falls, you will have time to marvel at their beauty, take a swim in the Mitchell River above the falls and admire the fascinating flora and fauna of this area. You can also enjoy a fresh picnic-style lunch before heading back to Kununurra. You will be transferred via helicopter from the top of the falls back to the airstrip, where you will board your return scenic flight to Kununurra. On the flight home, you will pass over the Cockburn Range before touching down in Kununurra.
1 May to 31 August only
Approximately 9 hours
6.00am to 3.00pm
If you do not require an itinerary be created for you but would like to do this particular experience, you can contact Aviair directly to book.
- Fly by plane over the Ord River Irrigation Area, Carlton Hill Station, Wyndham and the Cambridge Gulf to the coast
- View beautifully patterned mud flats near Wyndham at the mouth of the Ord and King Rivers
- Marvel at the Berkeley River and King George Falls.
- Land at the remote Mitchell Plateau airstrip to transfer to a HeliSpirit helicopter and fly to the start of the walk to the falls.
- Enjoy either a guided 4.5 km hike to Mitchell Falls or an additional helicopter flight straight to the top of the falls if you do not want to hike – No extra cost.
- Time to explore the falls and swim
- Picnic lunch and snacks included in a cooler bag which you carry
- Fly by helicopter taking off above the falls and flying over them for great photo opportunities. Land at the airstrip to transfer to your plane
- Return to Kununurra flying past the Cockburn Range
- Flight in air-conditioned, high quality aeroplanes – the newest planes and only air conditioned fleet in Kununurra
- Courtesy transfer to and from the Aviair terminal from your
- Air-conditioned terminal building
- Cold bottled water, Ord Valley sandalwood scented refresher towels, and sweets
- Personalised pilot commentary across PA system or personal headsets
- Guided hike to the falls or optional helicopter transfer to the falls
- Includes a light breakfast, a picnic morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Duration: 9 hours approx. – 6.00am – 3.00pm
- Departs: Kununurra
* This Hike traverses a difficult and uneven track with river crossings, which can be slippery. There is an option of taking a helicopter transfer instead of walking at no additional cost. There is a limited time for the walk, therefore if you are unsure of your walking capabilities, please book the helicopter transfer.
- $1,799 per person
- 1 May – 31 August only
* includes Wunambal Gaambera fee